List: Public Lands Day events around Colorado Springs
The first Public Lands Day for Colorado (or any other state in the nation) is Saturday with 95 events around the state.
State Sen. Kerry Donovan, D-Vail, got the special day on the calendar for the third Saturday in May each year during the 2016 legislative session to recognize the value of Colorado's public lands, which have since become a hot political topic on the Utah and national levels, as well.
Here are a few of the events:
- Rainbow Falls Trail cleanup, 8 a.m., Rainbow Falls trailhead, in support of Stay the Trail Colorado. More information.
- Colorado Springs day of stewardship and recreation, 8 a.m., Red Rock Canyon Open Space, in support of Rocky Mountain Field Institute, Friends of Red Rock Canyon, UpaDowna, Medicine Wheel Trail Advocates, City of Colorado Springs. More information.
- Outdoor skills day, Mueller State Park, 10 a.m. - 3 p.m., in support of Mueller State Park. More information.
- Guided interpretive hike at Eleven Mile State Park, 11 a.m., in support of Colorado Parks and Wildlife. More information.
- Grayback Peak hike, Forest Road 371, Colorado Springs, 1:45 p.m., in support of Sierra Club. More information.
- Rafting, Arkansas River Tours, Cotopaxi. More information.
- Triple S Brewing, happy hour, 5 p.m. Saturday, in support of Wild Connections. More information.
- Fossil Craft Beer Company, happy hour, 6 p.m. Saturday, in support of Pikes Peak Climbers Alliance and Rocky Mountain Field Institute. More information.
The events get a preview Friday when the Nederland folk rock band Elephant Revival is leading a #TrailRevival in Boulder County with the band, and those who share stuff about Public Lands Day on social media could win tickets to the band's show at Red Rocks Amphitheater on Sunday.